Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Navajo Plying



I received a really beautiful Spunky Eclectic roving from Lauren a couple of weeks ago, and I couldn't wait to spin it. I forced myself to finish up the last of the two pounds of BFL on Saturday, then I started spinning. It always amazes me how different the colors on a roving can look once they are on the bobbin. Because I loved the way the colors looked, I decided to try Navajo plying, something I had never done before. (For those of you who don't spin, Navajo plying allows the spinner to create a 3-ply yarn from a single bobbin using a chaining motion similar to crochet.) I'm really pleased with the results, even though there was a fair amount of overtwist on the plying.



The 4 oz. roving yielded a bit more than 200 yards of a worsted/heavy worsted yarn. I haven't decided what to do with it yet, and will swatch a few stitch patterns at some point. I'm leaning toward a narrow mistake rib scarf, but I need to verify the yardage and gauge first. This is the first yarn I've spun that I'm very excited to knit. The striping should be interesting.

The Ram's Horn Jacket from Knitting Nature is in the process of being seamed and will be worn at Rhinebeck this weekend, weather permitting. Let's just hope it's not as hot as last year!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful yarn! I love Spunky's fiber- she's my favorite. Your yarn looks so different than the fiber. I wouldn't have predicted the colors turning out the way they did.

Karen said...

REALLY pretty! Better hide it the next time I come over. :)

Theresa said...

WOW! That is GORGEOUS!!!

Anonymous said...

OOOH Val that's gorgeous!!!! I haven't yet tried to control the placement of colors using Navajo ply, I just do it 'cause it's faster!! Can't wait to see the Jacket!! Let's hope for a cool, sunny day.

Hazy said...

I haven't tried Navajo plying yet, but I might have to have a go now. Beautiful yarn!

merlinthecat said...

ohhh so nice!!

Sarah said...

Beautiful! I love the colors!
Have and excellent time at Rhinebeck! Wish I was going!