Thursday, August 18, 2005

A blog!

After much hemming and hawing over it (and a failed attempt or two), I finally decided to create this. You see, I've been blog-stalking several knit-bloggers lately, and it just seemed like I should at least have something for them to comment on/ridicule. It's not like I need another time-waster, but there you go.

I've finally decided to participate in one of the Secret Pal exchanges on the Knitty Boards. So to my yet-unknown Secret Pal, a little info about me by way of the SP5 blog.

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer high-end/natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?

It's pretty much all the same to me. I prefer natural fibers, but acrylics really have their place, especially in blends. I tend to use a lot of mid-range stuff, like Cascade and Brown Sheep, but I love it all!

2. Do you spin? Crochet?

I just bought a drop spindle and fiber at this lovely little shop (Knit n Purl) in Knoxville, TN, but I haven't learned! If I like it, though, I'm definitely going to do more of it.
Crocheting and I have a love-hate relationship; it's really handy, but I don't get it. The yarn does NOT want to be in my left hand. (Sometimes I think my left hand belongs to another person, for all the use it actually gives me.)

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)

I'm allergic to cats, much to my husband's dismay, and excessive perfume or smoke will really get to me.

4. How long have you been knitting?

Well, I taught myself when I was a teenager. I asked my mother to teach me, and her response was to shove a book, some needles, and some yarn in my face. She's a left-handed crocheter. *sigh* But I've been a "hard core" knitter since January.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

Nope.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)

I would say vanilla, probably. Or mulled wine/cider. Or something more herbal, like rosemary.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?

Yes, much to my waistline's dismay.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?

Cooking.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

I like a bit of everything. My computer plays MP3s, and I have an iPod.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer?

I love fall colors.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

Married, no kids, no pets.

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)

To knit all my stash, so my husband doesn't kill me (and I can buy MORE).

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?

I like just about everything, really, and always want to try new things. A few I like are Lamb's Pride, any silk/merino blends, and Knitpicks Shine. And I'm getting into handpainted yarns, although my budget isn't liking it!

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

I don't like the "squeaky" acrylics (like the normal Red Heart), but that's about all.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?

Lace and cables

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

I haven't really decided yet.

17. What are you knitting right now?

Samantha by Kate Gilbert
My So-Called Scarf
The Spiral/Ruffles Scarf from Scarf Style (which drives me nuts! Am I alone in this?)
Basic 2x2 rib socks for husband

18. What do you think about ponchos?

While I like some, they're generally overdone. And they make me look pregnant.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?

Circulars.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

I own all three and use each for different things, but I use my Denises most.

21. Are you a sock knitter?

Yes.

22. How did you learn to knit?

See above--book, needles, and yarn shoved into hands. The book turned out to be the Mon Tricot stitch dictionary, though, which I stole on my last visit home.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?

I think I started it in March. It's Angelina by White Lies Designs. The 2x2 rib killed me. Maybe I'll finish it this fall.....

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?

I don't really have one.

25. What is your favorite holiday?

I love them all, but my top 3 are Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

26. Is there anything that you collect?

Not really, but I'm a pack rat, so I guess I collect LOTS of stuff. :-)

27. Any projects you want to make but haven't gotten there yet?

I want to make a jacket like the one in the Fall 05 Vogue by Debbie Bliss. It's also similar to the
new ChicKnits design.
I want to make Baby Bobbi Bear for a friend's daughter.
Husband wants me to make Saranac for him.
I want to make more lace for me.

No comments: